My dad once said, “There will be no hungry people in this world if fat people will share their food.” I know, I know it’s harsh. My father had always disliked fat people and he thought they are greedy. I am fat by the way but was fit when my dad said this.
Today, I think about what he said and somehow, some parts of it can be justified. As I have mentioned yesterday, human beings have tendencies to hoard, to stock, and to gain more than what we need. We tend to splurge, waste and spend more than how much we should.
Looking back, I recall how many times I wasted my resources. ‘Savings’ is not only limited to the money we have in the bank. It also goes with how much we spend, how many times we buy something we haven’t planned for, or use something we don’t actually need. My allowance in college was greater than my first job’s salary and I couldn’t gulp in the thought that I haven’t saved a buck on those years.
- How many times have I gone to the supermarket and throw the extra food at home? Those can be eaten by someone else
- How many times have I gone to the mall and buy multiple slippers of different colors? Those were not needed
- How many times have I gone by taxi when I could have taken a much-cheaper public transport? I could have even walked
- How many times have I used energies and resources like stationery, appliances and more without a sense of purpose? I have been a garbage contributor and an earth killer
I have done a lot of spending and now, I think about how much I could have saved if those were undone.
- Had I bought and eaten right, I would have been saved from the agony of being overweight
- Had I recycled and re-used some of my good stuffs, I would have saved a thousand bucks
- Had I walked a little more, I would have saved my body from physical deterioration and pain
- Had I been keen in my daily needs, I would have saved the trees and contribute to a cleaner and greener world
My dad once said, “There will be no hungry people in this world if fat people will share their food.” I know, I know it’s harsh. My father had always disliked fat people and he thought they are greedy. I am fat by the way and it is not too late…